Step out of your clutter
discover what you love
What is coaching?
Here are a few definitions
- A coach’s primary responsibility is not to teach but to facilitate learning. (Myles Downey 1999)
- Coaching is partnering with individuals in a thought-provoking, and creative process that inspires them to maximizes their personal and professional potential.
- Coaching does not look to the past; it works with the present and the future.
- And my favorite by Charles Hamrick “through coaching we seek to understand another’s experience, what they notice, and what they desire. We sit beside, looking at the world together. Then we explore, through non-judgment and positivity, inviting coachees towards the discovery of internal and external sources and resources. From here, we move to action, overcoming fears – of failure and our limits. We learn new actions, prototype new ways of behaving and practice until the new ways become internalized as our’ new way of being and doing’ which leads to new experiences – except at a new level, and possibly through a different expression. From there, we start the reflective process again, except to a high energy level – a new level of performance!”
Why do I need a coach?
- Because something is amiss, you may be feeling unsettled or unfulfilled. Frustrated at a lack of growth or self-discipline or hurt, angry or stuck.
- Your instinct is telling you there’s more to life than this. You’re either afraid or too busy to give this instinct the attention it deserves.
- A coach helps you find the courage and take the time to put you first.
- Coaches help you identify and focus on what’s important. They help you find what’s holding you back, or how your future could and should look.
- And here’s 35 more reasons. https://www.lifehack.org/articles/work/35-reasons-you-should-work-coach.html
What’s the difference between Coaching, Mentoring, and Consulting?
- A coach does not claim to be an expert in the field of the Client, preferably an expert in facilitating learning and goal attainment.
- A mentor has expertise in the field of the Client.
- A consultant is an expert in the field of a client and advises on it.
- A coach facilitates
- A mentor shares knowledge
- A Consultant Advises
- Coaching – the Client sets the agenda
- Mentoring – the agenda is set by both Client and mentor
- Consultant – the agenda is set by the process and goals.
How much does coaching cost?
Coaching in South Africa costs between R450 per hour and R3500+ depending on the following factors:
- The type of coaching, ie. Career, Business, Life, Executive, etc.
- The Client: if it is a corporate or company – there would usually be two clients, ie. The business and the coachee. There is also a reporting system and a delicate balance that needs to provide a safe and confidential space for the coachee while working towards the company’s goals.
- The level of the Coach’s experience and expertise.
- It is important to note that while a coach may bill a certain amount for coaching per hour, that you are paying for more than the one-on-one time. It is the coach’s responsibility to reflect, prepare for, and document the session. I thus encourage you to see a coach’s hourly rate as more than the single hour or two that you’ve experienced in direct coaching.
For how long do I need to see a coach?
- To get the best results from coaching, you would attend at least six x 1-hour sessions, which allows you to experience the entire process from discovery through to behavioral and perspective change.
- Some clients stay with coaches for several years. It is in the early stages of coaching where moving mental boulders, unlocking belief systems, or solving practical problems, that you may see a coach every week. The frequency can later be reduced to monthly sessions, as is required by the needs of the coachee.
What if I am not in your city or cannot get to you for my coaching session?
- Most coaches enjoy the freedom technology offers by coaching people anywhere in the country or world using any of the many tools and apps available to them.
- These include, but are not limited to, WhatsApp FaceTime, Zoom, or Skype. All you need is good WIFI access.
How do I get started?
- Google or ask your friends or use online groups to refer you to a life coach.
- Select three and start by meeting with all three to get a feel for what you will experience during your coaching relationship. Most coaches offer a 30 – 60-minute free ‘Chemistry’ session as it is of vital importance that both you and the coach feel comfortable, safe, and confident in your partnership. (Yes, it becomes a partnership after that).
- At the chemistry session, ask them one or more of the following:
- What their style of coaching is and what that suggests?
- How they will handle tell you you’re wrong.
- Have they worked in your ‘universe’ i.e.? We often want someone to understand or have had experiences similar to ours.
- How can you help me?
- Why do you coach?
- You mustn’t feel obliged to go with a coach unless you think you would be able to engage with that person meaningfully.
- Be aware that the chemistry session is also for the coach to determine if they will be able to coach you. They know their style and area of expertise. Do not take it personally if they choose not to work with you.
CONTACT ME TODAY FOR YOUR FREE ASSESMENT
Do you need change?
This is your invitation to a free 30-minute “chemistry’ session where I will answer your questions and spend some time with you in coaching, just enough to give you a feel for the process, and who knows, maybe you’ll notice a shift.
This session, (using Facetime, Skype or Zoom) comes with no strings attached. Once done, you will know if I’m the right coach for you, as well as have an understanding of the work that lies ahead of you. If you were feeling unstuck, unsettled or needing change, you were also feeling heavy and perhaps discouraged. The good news is that “unstuck’ means feeling lighter, having a purpose or at the least, some direction, and on the road to achieving your potential. Coaching gives you a new perspective. One that opens up a world of possibilities, provides clarity and instils a sense of unbridled enthusiasm for the future.
Want to try it out? Quickly fill in your email address and let’s get in touch.